FIELDBUS for Safety Instrumented System?

K

Kenno

I understand there is a special version of FF designed for the use in safety instrumented systems. Is this common used? What about other field buses? Are hard wired systems still most used for safety instrumented systems?

R
> I understand there is a special version of FF designed for the use in safety instrumented systems. Is this common
> used? What about other field buses? Are hard wired systems still most used for safety instrumented systems?

As far as I know there are no field busses suitable for Safety Instrumented Systems, we currently use 4 - 20 mA field devices.

I will be watching this thread.

Roy

Thanks for the feedback.

I read a white paper on the subject. The technology was tested with major end-users. I asked our local contact person of Rosemount to check with their R&D department.

Kenno

>> I understand there is a special version of FF designed for the use in safety instrumented systems. Is this common
>> used? What about other field buses? Are hard wired systems still most used for safety instrumented systems?

> As far as I know there are no field busses suitable for Safety Instrumented Systems, we currently use 4 - 20 mA field devices.

W
The former Fieldbus Foundation (now part of the Fieldcomms Foundation) did develop methodology and a standard working with Shell, Chevron, Yokogawa, Emerson, and I don¹t know who all. I saw it working in Amsterdam in 2010.

The problem is that like HART6 none of the vendors have implemented it to my knowledge.

So, like a lot of things, it exists but you can't buy it.

Walt

Walt Boyes, Life Fellow, ISA; Fellow InstMC
Chartered Measurement and Control Technologist
Spitzer and Boyes LLC
www.spitzerandboyes.com

**Spitzer and Boyes LLC publishes the Industrial Automation and Process Control INSIDER (www.iainsider.com)**

J
Walt is correct. The technology FF-SIF exists but not yet implemented in products

Note that there are safetybus versions of many other fieldbuses available such as ProfiSafe, AS-I safety at work etc.